Sustainable Tourism Initiatives and Resources
Throughout the tourism industry, there are many initiatives and advocacy campaigns that promote best practices, codes of conduct, and certification programs, all designed to help deepen our understanding of, and commitment to, sustainable travel. CREST with the assistance of UN Environment have produced a resource package for attendees of this Sustainable Tourism Forum that contains valuable information for tourism-related businesses and travelers. This directory has fact sheets on a multitude of topics including: cultural heritage preservation, local employment & fair wages, marine litter, food waste, the illegal trade in wildlife, and more.
CREST Books on Climate Change and Coastal & Marine Tourism in the Caribbean (a fourth coming in late 2017):
- Coastal Tourism, Sustainability, and Climate Change in the Caribbean, Volume I: Beaches and Hotels
- Coastal Tourism, Sustainability, and Climate Change in the Caribbean, Volume II: Supporting Activities
- Marine Tourism, Climate Change, and Resilience in the Caribbean, Volume I: Ocean Health, Fisheries, and Marine Protected Areas
- Caribbean Green Travel: Your Choices Make a Difference
- The Goose with the Golden Eggs: Tourism on Costa Rica’s Pacific Coast
- Spanish version: La Gallina de los Huevos de Oro
- Travelers’ Philanthropy: Giving Time, Talent, and Treasure
We invite tourism businesses and organizations to add this link to your websites and to promote the valuable resources to your networks. We also welcome your input for additional content and look forward to hearing from you at firstname.lastname@example.org.